[CentOS] CentOS Based Linux Firewall Document

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Thu Jun 7 01:52:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 18:36 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Frank Tanner III <pctech at mybellybutton.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 22:08 +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
>
> > > Than you will be happy to hear that not everyone can just change pages
> > > on the CentOS Wiki. Write access is restricted.
> >
> >   *I* choose not to wiki
> > it because I have been burned by using wiki as a "distribution method"
> > in the past.

> > Frank Tanner III (pctech at mybellybutton.com)
>
> I just wanted to make one comment here so that people who are reading
> this thread are not misguided.  As Daniel de Kok noted above, on the
> CentOS wiki, write access is restricted.  Only the author of the page
> is allowed to edit.  That is, you cannot write to the page I maintain.
>  The only exception to this is that some members of the CentOS team
> have across-the-board write access.  You can find who have edit rights
> to which page:

Which is why I specifically stated that my comments were not with
regards to the CentOS wiki.  Because I do not have any knowledge of the
way that the CentOS wiki is run.

> http://wiki.centos.org/EditGroup
>
> Personally, I am very comfortable with this setup and I have absolute
> trust on the CentOS team regarding keeping my pages intact.

My next comment is not about the CentOS wiki admins at all, again, I
don't know them, but I have had friends shut out of wiki articles that
they've started on Wikipedia because of what happens there.
Specifically car related posts by the owner of the largest Nissan
owner's forum in the United States with regards to Nissans.

Again, I am not saying that the CentOS guys would ever do this, but at
the end of the day an article author is at the whim of whoever is
running the wiki.

My experience with wiki was a little different.  I posted a wiki article
about some car modifications.  Someone else "added" to the article.
Someone damaged their car due to this "addition".  When the manufacture
wouldn't honor the warranty on their car because of this "addition" *I*
got a call from the person's lawyer demanding that I pay for the repair
to their car since the manufacturer wouldn't cover it due to
unauthorized modifications not covered under the Magnuss-Moss Act.  It
took me contacting a lawyer of my own and then playing "dueling lawyers"
to convince them that *I* wasn't the one that suggested that particular
modification.  THAT is why I choose not to release my document via wiki.

If someone else that I have sent my document to would like to post it on
their own web site or if they would like to pay someone to host it, I
have no problem; this includes the CentOS team.  *I*, however, don't
have to spare cash to pay for the bandwidth.