[CentOS] CentOS Based Linux Firewall Document

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Thu Jun 7 04:49:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 12:25 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> /me puts on asbestos suit.
> > Actually, I haven't lashed out at anyone.  People have chosen to lash
> > out at me due to my chosen distribution method.
> Right...
> > 
> > I answer each and every message so that people don't think that I am
> > ignoring them or their comments.
> Okay...
> > 
> >> Quite frankly, your argument is kind of ridiculous.  You can easily
> >> control who has access to change a document, and you don't even need
> >> to use a wiki.  A regular html page doesn't allow anyone but you to
> >> edit it.  All you _really_ need to say is "this is how I choose to do
> >> it", but if you start making silly arguments, it makes you sound,
> >> well, silly.
> >>
> > 
> > I guess you didn't see the part where I don't have the bandwidth to host
> > the document.  Never once have I stated that anyone else wasn't free to
> > host the document if they so chose.  They're the silly ones for getting
> > "bitchy" about my chosen distribution method.
> So you chose to distribute your document via PDF and it is what 15MB in 
> size? You email this to those who are interested...do you do one single 
> mailing with all the addresses or do you individually email them? How 
> many of these guys can take a 15MB attachment or a 20MB message? 
> Probably all but I wonder how many of those who did not ask, did not do 
> so because they do not have a mailbox on a system that can swallow a 
> 20MB message.

I chose to distribute my document via PDF because it was the best way to
make it cross platform.  Nothing more, and nothing less.  EVERY platform
supports PDF.  Not every platform supports Microsoft Office.  The
document size is 8.8Mb to be exact.  A far cry from 15MB or 20MB.  And,
since I didn't publish the size of the document in my e-mail they
wouldn't know how large it was to decide not to ask.  If someone would
like the document source, they're welcome to it.  Again, I chose PDF for
portability.  No other reason.

Out of the 53 documents that I have sent out since I posted this, there
have been three bounce backs.  One because someone's mailbox was full
and two because the document was too big.

> > 
> >> No one is telling you that you need to do it, and if you want to only
> >> distribute through email, that's your choice.  The main point of my
> >> message was to say that many people won't like your choice, so do not
> >> be surprised at the reaction.
> > 
> > No...  Rather than telling me I *MUST* do this or that they're bitching
> > that I didn't choose to do this or that.  At the end of the day it's not
> > alot different.
> Let's see:
> Les:
> Did you miss the 'revision history' link that removes all doubt about 
> who said what?

Did you see where I posted that the revision history tends to get
ignored by alot of people?  I even stated what exactly happened in my
case.  Sorry.  Allowing someone else to revise my document, even with a
revision history, isn't worth being contacted by lawyers because of a
revision someone else made.  If you can't understand that, I'm sorry.

> You then call it snippy...
> Max: do you not have a place to host the document then? It seems
> that if you've gone to that much trouble to write something, then
> perhaps you just need a spot somewhere to host the document?

As I have already stated at least three times, if someone would like to
host the document, they can feel free.  I have never once stated that
they cannot.  Did you not see those posts to the list?

> You then complain about
> "Currently I have a domain, yes, however my bandwidth is rather limited. 
>   By cost, not by speed.  I don't feel like incurring hundreds of 
> dollars in usage fees to post this on my domain."
> but don't feel like posting on the Centos wiki but do yap about 'big' 
> names like IEEE...

I "yapped" about a big site like IEEE because I am hoping that I can get
THEM to host the document, because I am limited to my monthly bandwidth.
The difference between the IEEE site and wiki is that IEEE will host the
actual document.  Wiki is a whole different animal.  That's like
comparing apples to corn.  When I hit the cap, I have a significant
usage penalty.  I am giving this document out for free.  I cannot afford
to pay $100 a month in bandwidth fees when I go over my cap.

> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Frank Tanner III (pctech at mybellybutton.com)

ICQ:  1730844
AIM:  KalokSundancer
MSN:  pctech at mybellybutton.com
YIM:  fbtanner

More information about the CentOS mailing list