[CentOS] using a previous /home dir

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 19:22:17 UTC 2007

If you are installing via CD isos, then you will be given an opportunity
to save your partitions of choice from re-formating.  Just don't let the
install program partition automatically.  I've kept the same data in my
home directory from Red Hat 7.2 through Fedora and onto CentOS and never
had a problem.

I don't know about other methods of installation.

Dick

Shawn Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I use my previous /home partion under a new installation of cent0S5?
>
> Is it something like:
>
> mount it
> chown it (so the UIDs match)
> fstab it (suggestions here pelase)
>
> Was using fc6 that died in an update (I think XP under vm ware crashed)
> and segfaulted on reboot.
>
> Wanted to go to centOS anyway so...
>
> Um, the /home is a mirrored raid device across 2 disks.  I can mount it
> fine.
>
> Sorry if this seems so simple to find it on google.  I searched around
> and thought I'd ask before going further thinking maybe someone has a
> howto or would suggest a reinstall of centOS5 with it pointed to the
> /home directory I'd like to use.  Wasn't sure how to do that without
> reformatting is though.
>
> I doubt this is relevant at this moment but the previous installation
> was i686 and the new on is x86_64
>
> Thanks and happy to be finallying using centOS
>
> Shawn

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1775