[CentOS] Re: Firefox and Thunderbird 2.0, Centos 5, and rpms

Tue Jun 19 10:27:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:23 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:37:50PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> >> I am making some progress on my Centos 5 notebook build.
> >>
> >> So I am looking at Firefox and Thunderbird 2.0.
> >>
> >> Should I install them?  Or is Redhat correct that there is nothing
> >> improved here and wait for 3.0?  (well I have not even had a chance to
> >> look at Thunderbird 2.0, that is new)?
> >>
> >> I have the install steps we covered here back on 2/2/07; but are there
> >> rpms?  I did not find anything over at ATrpms.
> >>

> > There are no FF/TB rpms at ATrpms, maybe you mean
> > rpmforge/Dag/plus/extras/karan?
> >
> Yeah, I noticed no FF/TB at ATrpms, but nowhere else either.

wrt a firefox 2 (or thunderbird) install ... they are fairly trivial to
do with the binaries produced by Mozilla.org.

just download and extract the tarballs from mozilla.org and move the
firefox directory (or the thunderbird directory)
to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.x or /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.4.

install compat-libstdc++-33 with yum (or compat-libstdc++-296 ... I
can't remember which)

if you have firefox 1.5 installed:

mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox.old

Create a symlink similar to this:

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.4/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

(you need to to the same for thunderbird ...)

Then you need to take care of any plugins you have installed ... by
moving them from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
and /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.{version}/plugins
to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.4/plugins/

You need to manage upgrades yourself ... I just download the latest
firefox from mozilla and do this again when there are updates.

Note:  In CentOS-5, firefox is a required install for other things ...
so if firefox-1.5 is installed and updated by yum, you will need to
recreate your /usr/bin/firefox symlink to use firefox 2.

I personally use evolution for e-mail and Gran Paradiso (firefox-3
alpha5) as my web browser ...

Trying to replace firefox on CentOS-5 with another RPM is going to be
versy problematic as several other packages are built against it in the
distribution ... but running 2 versions in parallel is not very hard.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes