[CentOS] Strange slowdown occasionally in CentOS 5.0

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jun 30 09:21:24 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> For some reason, parts of my system are now slowing down to an
> agonizing crawl from time to time.  At first it was my VMWare Server
> 1.04, which became such a pain that I rebooted.  Then, it looked like
> it was a network-induced thing because the prime culprit was
> SeaMonkey, particularly with multiple tabs open.  I did an ifdown and
> ifup on my NIC and that seemed to help for a while.  But then it hit
> OO and I'm baffled.  It seems that the second time I open any
> document, particularly with OO Writer, the load and save times are
> dramatically extended - we're talking five to ten minutes.

I don't think you are imagining things, as I tend to see similar things.

Every time I see it though, it is firefox/seamonkey related ... and
stopping and then restarting the browser has fixed the problem for me.

I also notice that this happens when I have too many tabs open (I
sometimes get as many as 30 tabs open).

I never really looked to see how much memory was in use or the load ...
as I just chalked it up to too many tabs and some kind of memory leak or
another.  As I stated before, closing then reopening the browser does
usually fix it for me.

Since I normally use either firefox 2.0.x or Gran Paradiso
(firefox-3.0alpha) as my browser, I just assumed it was a problem with
that.  (and my issues may be unrelated to yours and caused by my use of
unauthorized browsers)

> I don't even know what information I should include here that might
> help, but here's what I have running at the moment:
>
> OS/Hardware Config:
> OS : CentOS 5.0 (2.6.16-8.1.6 Linux kernel) x86_64 with latest updates
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
> M/B: ECS NFORCE4M-A
> ram: 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 (PC6400)
> hds: 160MB + 120MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133 (160 is the boot drive)
> sds: 300GB Seagate SATA-150/300 (/boot and / are here)
>        320Gb WD SATA-150/300
> vid: geFORCE7100gs (nVidia) PCI-E x16
> lpr: Minolta QMS PagePro 1100 laser printer on /dev/lp0
> mod: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (Lucent)
> nic: onboard (mobo-nvidia)
>
> Any suggestions or more information needed?

My hardware is a dual processor Xeon 2.0 ghz, 3gb RAM machine that is my
main workstation.  I will actually take a look at my memory and see if I
can see anything weird the next time it happens.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes