[CentOS] HP SureStore 40x6e - Multiple LUN's problem on CentOS 4.4

Tue Jun 5 17:23:22 UTC 2007
Eric Solomon <eric at clickability.com>

This is one of those autoloaders where the tape drive and the library
share a SCSI ID, but are on different LUN's - specifically the library
should be on LUN 1.  Apparently since so many devices like this are
broken,  recent kernels don't probe beyond the first LUN, so it's not
detecting the library.

My /proc/scsi/scsi output:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi4 Channel: 01 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD 0 RAID1   70G Rev: 1L47
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5713A           Rev: H910
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I read somewhere that this shouldn't be a problem with RHEL 4, but I
can't seem to get it detected.  I tried to add

options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=6

to modprobe.conf and regenerated initrd - no change.  Tried adding

max_luns=6 max_report_luns=6

to the kernel line in grub.conf, no change.  I tried to manually add it
by doing:

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi

but again, no change.

Any suggestions?  Am I on the right track and just doing something
wrong?  I know recompiling the kernel is not the best thing, but not
sure what to do here.  Thanks.

--
Eric Solomon
Senior Unix Engineer

Simplifying Content Management

130 Battery Street, Suite 300 San Francisco CA 94111
Tel  415-575-5125    eric at clickability.com
Fax 415-538-0839    http://www.clickability.com