[CentOS] kickstart fails statically built custom kernel: anaconda doesn't honor static NIC/SATA driver in kernel?

Fri Jun 8 18:18:58 UTC 2007
Guolin Cheng <guolin at alexa.com>

 Kickstart fails for statically built custom booting kernel, although the custom kernel is built form the same version stock kernel source. My anaconda and kernel source are both of stock versions on Centos 5.

 At the kickstart 'F3' screen, the following error messages appear:

 Modules to insert tg3 ...
 ERROR: no network devices in choose network device!
 ERROR: no network drivers for doing kickstart
 ERROR: unable to bring up network.

 The network card driver tg3 is statically built into custom kernel to fix NIC driver loading sequence problem( I have mixed type NICs on these boxes), so there is no tg3.ko in my rolled modules/modules.cgz file.

 Does this problem mean that kickstart/anaconda doesn't recognize NIC/SATA drivers statically built into booting kernel? Anaconda needs everything to exist in dynamic module form (*.ko in modules.cgz)?

 Thanks.