[CentOS] ipmi regression in 4.5?

Thu Jun 21 09:13:56 UTC 2007
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Gavin Carr wrote:
> I've been monitoring CPU temperature on a few Dell SC1435s running CentOS4
> via OpenIPMI and 'ipmitool sdr'. It's been working very nicely, but the
> upgrade to 4.5 not so long ago seems to have broken something:
>
>   # ipmitool sdr type Temperature
>   Temp             | 01h | ns  |  3.1 | Disabled
>   Planar Temp      | 04h | ok  |  7.1 | 30 degrees C
>   Temp Interface   | 53h | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
>
> The disabled sensors above used to work fine, and there have been no config
> changes or bios upgrades or anything. All machines affected post 4.5.

I had a similar problem with Dell boxes when I went from ipmitool v1.8.8
to v1.8.9 - see the thread starting at:

<http://www.mail-archive.com/ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00468.html>

It looks like the patch for ipmitool in the CentOS 4.5 OpenIPMI SRPM
i.e. ipmitool-1.8.8-disabled-sensor.patch is the cause of this issue ...
the comment is the change log is:

- Added patch to fix sensors problems on Woodcrest (#228679)

I guess you could rebuild the OpenIPMI without that patch

James Pearson