[CentOS] ipmi regression in 4.5?

Fri Jun 22 03:30:43 UTC 2007
Gavin Carr <gavin at openfusion.com.au>

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:13:56AM +0100, James Pearson wrote:
> Gavin Carr wrote:
> >I've been monitoring CPU temperature on a few Dell SC1435s running CentOS4
> >via OpenIPMI and 'ipmitool sdr'. It's been working very nicely, but the
> >upgrade to 4.5 not so long ago seems to have broken something:
> >
> >  # ipmitool sdr type Temperature
> >  Temp             | 01h | ns  |  3.1 | Disabled
> >  Planar Temp      | 04h | ok  |  7.1 | 30 degrees C
> >  Temp Interface   | 53h | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled
> >
> >The disabled sensors above used to work fine, and there have been no config
> >changes or bios upgrades or anything. All machines affected post 4.5.
>
> I had a similar problem with Dell boxes when I went from ipmitool v1.8.8
> to v1.8.9 - see the thread starting at:
>
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00468.html>
>
> It looks like the patch for ipmitool in the CentOS 4.5 OpenIPMI SRPM
> i.e. ipmitool-1.8.8-disabled-sensor.patch is the cause of this issue ...
> the comment is the change log is:
>
> - Added patch to fix sensors problems on Woodcrest (#228679)
>
> I guess you could rebuild the OpenIPMI without that patch

Thanks for the input James.

That does seem a similar problem, but it's specific to those Intel chipsets,
but the looks. The SC1435s we're I'm seeing the problem are AMDs.

Another interesting datapoint I've discovered is that the versions of
OpenIPMI only changed at the release level:

  CentOS 4.4: 1.4.14-1.4E.13
  CentOS 4.5: 1.4.14-1.4E.17

so I'm starting to wonder if it's perhaps a kernel change.

In addition, I've now verified that the sensors are behaving similarly
on CentOS 5.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Gavin