[CentOS] Re: New System Build

Mel mel at laamail.com
Thu Mar 15 04:34:28 UTC 2007

Paul wrote:

> My daughter's system running FC6 on an ASRock P4i65G (intel 865G chipset
> based) works fine ... onboard sound, video, networking, IDE & SATA. I've
> been happy with their Intel chipset boards in the past.

My MB (AM2NF6G-VSTA) is Nvidia based. I went with this because the
system was down and I needed to get it back up quickly. I went with my
local dealer's recommendation.

> The motherboard almost certainly uses "Fake Raid" and other than
> initially booting the OS is pretty dim

Amen

> distrobution of choice before buying the hardware.  If you are using a
> fairly cutting edge distro like Fedora, OpenSuSE or Ubutu and the
> chipset is at least a year or so old your probably OK, but if you want
> the latest wizz-bang chipset your probably not going to be happy trying
> to install linux on it.

I don't want bleeding edge - I want stability. I would like to change
all my systems to CentOS but I have to wait until I can get it  to
recognize these drives. CentOS 4 will not see the drives and sata_nv is
loaded. (The stat_nv driver direct from Nvidia makes no difference.)I am
waiting patiently (OK not so patiently) for CentOS 5. I will then go to
a stable system. My problem is that my local store carries mainly M$
stuff. They don't have a market for Linux stuff yet.

What affects my decision on ASRock the most was their lack of support.
Simply saying use the Nvidia driver and then not replying to my last
email is not good customer service.

Thanks for the link.