[CentOS] Re: New System Build

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 15 20:50:50 UTC 2007

Paul wrote:

>>I recently had an MB die. The only replacement I could afford that was
>>available quickly was an ASRock. I bought it and have been suffering
>>ever since.

Probably the problem is a function of the particular chipset; it could
arise with other brands.

No justification for poor support or bad manners though.

> My daughter's system running FC6 on an ASRock P4i65G (intel 865G chipset
> based) works fine ... onboard sound, video, networking, IDE & SATA. I've
> been happy with their Intel chipset boards in the past.
>

>>My old board had 3 parallel IDE devices. The new board can only support
>>2. OK. This is not special to ASRock. But ....
>>
>>I got 2 new SATA drives to go with it. I thought I would set them up in
>>a RAID configuration. Was I wrong.
>>
>>This MB apparently has some special BIOS code that only works with M$
>>software. There is NO Linux support for it. I found other references to
>>this on the net.
>>
>>ASRock support simply replied to use the Nvidia drives from the Nvidia
>>site. Well they didn't solve the BIOS problem. ASRock did not reply when
>>I re-asked for their help.
>>
>>CentOS 4 will not recognize these drives.
>>
>>I am now using FC6 and booting with NODMRAID. By doing this I was
>>finally able to use booth drives. If I don't use NODMRAID, I get device
>>mapping and everything is fine until I reboot - there is that BIOS
>>problem again.
>

> The motherboard almost certainly uses "Fake Raid" and other than
> initially booting the OS is pretty dim.  This is the same as 99.9% of

There's no need to be so disparaging. You want cheap RAID, you get
software RAID in the BIOS.

Personally, I'd rather do the RAID in my Linux box where I can control
it better:-)

> My personal preference is usually Gigabyte & ASRock for budget boards
> and Tyan & ASUS for mid to upper range desktop boards.

I've found Gigabyte's support a bit off; "gotta have windows" to flash
the BIOS. This might not be a problem with more recent boards, but I've
been bitten, and I'm happy with alternatives.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait