[CentOS] SATA RAID card recommendation?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Mar 20 18:20:16 UTC 2007

Andrew Cotter wrote:

> What are you trying to build?

Analysis and reporting tool with a large MySQL backend. It also serves
as a transient backup server for that data. I need MySQL to _fly_ on
that RAID array, since the data set is pretty big.
I wrote pretty much all software and did the DB schema, so I have true
full control over what's running on that machine.

I think I can go with the "throw more hardware (bigger disks) at the
problem" approach and use RAID1 instead of RAID5. That should give a
boost to the read performance, in theory.
I need to do some tests and figure out what works best in this
particular case.

I was wrong with the requirements, it's not PCI, it's PCI Express x16

There's not much room in the system, it's a 1U. I think I can fit a
full-height card in it, but it must not be too bulky.

It's a fairly new AMD 64bit machine. It will run CentOS 4.4 64bit,
possibly version 5 if the project drags its feet long enough and 5 is
released soon, and MySQL makes "official" packages for CentOS 5 soon
enough and is stable enough. Hm, that's a lot of ifs. :-/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/