[CentOS] RE: Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Mark Hull-Richter mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Fri Mar 23 23:46:05 UTC 2007

Isn't there some way for a host to communicate with different parts of
itself?  If I run the smbclient on the host, it works fine - it acts
sort of like ftp.  I don't know if there's a Windows analog, but it
seems that with at least different ports or something, it should be
possible.

Otherwise, the VMWare Server virtual machines are completely isolated
from their hosts and thus essentially worthless if any kind of data
sharing is desired (like here), except via USB drives and/or CD/DVDs.

Is there another solution for data sharing between Linux and Windows on
the same machine (with Linux being the native host OS)?  Doesn't WINE do
something like this?

Expecting the impossible, as usual, I suppose....