[CentOS] Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:07:18 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

>>> The vmware client is using a bridged Ethernet adapter (meaning same as
>>> the host, I think).
>> "Bridged" means the guest shares the host's network adapter directly but
>> it looks like a completely different system to everyone else including
>> the host - that is, it needs its own IP address on the same subnet.
>> Once that is set up, sharing files is exactly the same as with any other
>> machine on the network.
> Okay, I understand that.  However, my computer is linked up to a DSL
> modem and has no subnet, per se, and the DSL host assigns my IP
> address.  So:
> 1) Is tehre a way I can get around this and give my Windows VM its own
> IP address (and how)?

Most people who want to run multiple systems behind a dsl or cablemodem
get an inexpensive NAT router.  With that, a bridged VM would just take
another private address.

> 2) If not, how would I set up one of the other ethernet types to make
> this work?  NAT doesn't look right for this, and I don't know enough
> to do a custom network, so that hints to me that host-only might work,
> but that calls for a vmnet1 device on the host, and I know nothing
> about this (but I will look - just hoped for a quickie answer
> here...).

If you only have one physical machine, the vmware NAT setup will do what
you need, but it is harder to make inbound connections to the guest.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com