[CentOS] Samba config for Windows on VMWare

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 26 08:34:55 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:21:24 -0500
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Samba config for Windows on VMWare
>
> Mark Hull-Richter wrote:>>
>>> The vmware client is using a bridged Ethernet adapter (meaning same as
>>> the host, I think).
>>
>> "Bridged" means the guest shares the host's network adapter directly but
>> it looks like a completely different system to everyone else including
>> the host - that is, it needs its own IP address on the same subnet.
>>
>> Once that is set up, sharing files is exactly the same as with any other
>> machine on the network.
>>
> Okay, I understand that.  However, my computer is linked up to a DSL
> modem and has no subnet, per se, and the DSL host assigns my IP
> address.  So:
>
> 1) Is tehre a way I can get around this and give my Windows VM its own
> IP address (and how)?

I don't know how vmware does it, but i'm sure it's possible. With xen,
you do something like
ifconfig dummy0 <whatever>
and configure dummy0 into the bridge in place of eth0.

> 2) If not, how would I set up one of the other ethernet types to make
> this work?  NAT doesn't look right for this, and I don't know enough
> to do a custom network, so that hints to me that host-only might work,
> but that calls for a vmnet1 device on the host, and I know nothing
> about this (but I will look - just hoped for a quickie answer
> here...).

If you want internet access for both concurrently, NAT is exactly what
you want. See netfilter.org and consider installing shorewall.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait