[CentOS] software raid

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Thu Mar 29 17:21:31 UTC 2007

>> argh...i missed the raid5 on 3ware part.
> Ah.  No, I am using RAID0 since this is just scratch space for editing
> large uncompressed video files.

Man a 3ware for RAID0? :D

I cannot wait for port multiplexer support on libsata (or is it libata?)
in Centos 5. An elcheapo AHCI or whatever SATA controller + Linux
software raid will own 3ware cards on a price/performance basis :D

> Disks are so cheap and high enough capacity now that I don't even bother
> with RAID5 anymore.  I still don't think (even if I was using RAID5)
> that I would stray from the "vendor supported" ext3 filesystem.

Not when you need that fileserver to serve. I'd go with JFS. XFS is too
risky even if the code was not iffy. ext3 + 3ware RAID5 arrays is that
bad. IIRC XFS was somewhere like 4-5 times faster than ext3 and no, i am
not talking about 3ware 75xx/85xx boards. I am talking 3ware 95xx boards
with onboard RAM.