[CentOS] Re: LDAP Server configs

Mon Mar 12 01:22:25 UTC 2007
centos at 911networks.com <centos at 911networks.com>

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:58:52 +1300
MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The means that you need to learn to use google to find how to
> >> do things. Google is faster than any mailing list, and will
> >> usually turn up better answers.
> >>

> > Let me translate your answer:
> >
> > This mailing list is useless and should not be used.
> >
> > Where does it say on the announcement email when I joined, that
> > this mailing list should not be used to ask question, and we
> > should drop it in favour of Google?
> >

> Woah there centos at 911networks.com ...
> I cant quite work out if you are the same person as the
> original poster, but that point is not relevant; your tone is.

I am not the original sender. I was just following the thread. The
purpose of the list is to help other people. To just say, since
you have not searched on Google, then too bad....

You are right my tone was more flippant than I intended, but I was
'offended' by the response.

At least some other people, when they say that they provide either
a link to another website that has a good tutorial or they provide
the search words.

> What John meant (imho) is that for questions like the
> original poster, google is a more appropriate source of
> information. You wont find many subscribers here who are
> willing to answer questions which clearly show you/OP
> haven't bothered to do a 10 second search.

I somewhat agree, that people should 1st search on Google, but
it's not a requirement, and people should not say:

I won't help you because you can't prove that you were on Google.

Now, what would be a proper help if the person would have started
the same email with:

I have searched on Google and ...

--
Thanks