[CentOS] Raid5 issues

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue May 1 18:19:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:09:51PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> That's possible, but that's no reason to kill my array.  I have the
> server in my cube for now while I'm setting it up, but plan to put it in
> a server room later on.  I don't, however, want a simple heat issue to
> cause me to loose all my data.  Should I try raid6?

You shouldn't have lost any data. The two drives failed, the array
became unavailable, but now you should be able to readd the drives.

You'll want to forcibly force the last drive to have failed to became
avaiable and then rebuild the other one.

I'm not that confortable with mdadm to give the correct options, but
take this time of testing to try the options listed in the manual page.

About raid6, it won't help, as long as the drives keep failing. You'd
end with a degraded array that is a drive away of completely failing.

--
lfr
0/0