[CentOS] Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Tue May 1 18:24:34 UTC 2007

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:09:51PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>
>> That's possible, but that's no reason to kill my array.  I have the
>> server in my cube for now while I'm setting it up, but plan to put it in
>> a server room later on.  I don't, however, want a simple heat issue to
>> cause me to loose all my data.  Should I try raid6?
>>

> You shouldn't have lost any data. The two drives failed, the array
> became unavailable, but now you should be able to readd the drives.
>
> You'll want to forcibly force the last drive to have failed to became
> avaiable and then rebuild the other one.
>
> I'm not that confortable with mdadm to give the correct options, but
> take this time of testing to try the options listed in the manual page.
>
> About raid6, it won't help, as long as the drives keep failing. You'd
> end with a degraded array that is a drive away of completely failing.

I tried recreating the array, but it won't mount...

Also a bit weird is that I did a SMART short self-test, and one of the
drives keeps returning a Read-Failure, but the overall SMART status is
passed.  Could this be from overheating?  Would letting it cool off fix
things, or should I call in for warranty?

Russ