[CentOS] Stumped: kernel 2.6.18-8 source doesn't build???

Fri May 4 23:09:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 15:18 -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, if installing the build dependencies had you puzzled for a
> > moment, I suppose I should probably throw you a bone about the generic
> > configs that are included now, such that simply editing the configs as
> > my initial wiki directions state won't cut it anymore. Johnny Hughes
> > may provide some more info if he bothers to poke his head up from
> > banging it on 4.5.
> >

> That or a reference to somewhere (else) I could look it up would be
> helpful.  I did notice that the kernel-devel package now includes the
> rpmbuild tools - a very nice addition, esp. since the 4.4 tools don't
> work on the 5.0 sources (IIRC).

The problem now is that building a custom kernel via RPM requires that
you remove some code (the "Generic Template" code) from the spec file
for building on a CentOS-5 machine.

With that code in the spec file, you will have several items reset to
the defaults regardless of what you put in the modified config files.

What you need to remove is in this post:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-April/080118.html

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes