[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 7 22:16:58 UTC 2007

Ruslan Sivak spake the following on 5/7/2007 2:22 PM:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On 5/7/07, Ruslan Sivak
>> <rsivak at istandfor.com> wrote:
>>> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>>

>>> Whether or not it was designed to create a Raid5/raid10, it allows the
>>> creating of raid5 and raid6 during install.  It doesn't, however, allow
>>> the use of raid10 even if it's created in the shell outside of anaconda
>>> (or if you have an old installation on a raid10).
>>>

>> My guess is that software Raid10 is still in the eats its children
>> stage. Most of the time I found it reliable, but I remember the kernel
>> developers having lots of race condition problems at times. In a
>> limited memory install region that is anaconda.. these might creep up
>> more often to be only supported by hand.
>>

> Well it's not even supported by hand.  Anaconda flat out refuses to let
> you use it.  Even when I create the device by hand (be it by loading the
> raid10 module manually and doing mdadm, or by making 2 raid1's and
> putting a raid0 on top of them), anaconda just flat out refuses to see
> the final device.
>
> Russ
I don't think anaconda will support it or raid 6 for the foreseeable future.
You have to throw up an upstream complaint, and I doubt you would see anything
till Fedora Core 8 or so. RedHat's stance seems to be that if you need that
kind of reliability, buy hardware raid that does raid 10

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and