[CentOS] Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Mon May 7 21:22:15 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak at istandfor.com> wrote:
>> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>

>> Whether or not it was designed to create a Raid5/raid10, it allows the
>> creating of raid5 and raid6 during install.  It doesn't, however, allow
>> the use of raid10 even if it's created in the shell outside of anaconda
>> (or if you have an old installation on a raid10).
>>

> My guess is that software Raid10 is still in the eats its children
> stage. Most of the time I found it reliable, but I remember the kernel
> developers having lots of race condition problems at times. In a
> limited memory install region that is anaconda.. these might creep up
> more often to be only supported by hand.

Well it's not even supported by hand.  Anaconda flat out refuses to let
you use it.  Even when I create the device by hand (be it by loading the
raid10 module manually and doing mdadm, or by making 2 raid1's and
putting a raid0 on top of them), anaconda just flat out refuses to see
the final device.

Russ