[CentOS] Re: A question about RAID and partitions

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue May 22 23:17:28 UTC 2007

> If you only have 2 drives there's not much you can do to avoid concurrent
> access.  The killer is head seek time - if you have your only 2 drives
> tied together in any kind of raid and the head needs to be in 2 places at
> once it doesn't matter much how you laid out the partitions. Reads can be
> sort-of independent on raid1 but writes make both seek to the same place.

That's not what I was referring to. I meant, for example, that if you have
on the same disks a RAID-0 containing data that is very frequently used and
a RAID-1 containing data that is rarelly accessed, then you still beneffit
from the qualities of both  RAID types despite them being on the same
physical disks.