[CentOS] Sound problems with CentOS

Tue May 1 18:02:29 UTC 2007
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

> On Tue, May 1, 2007 1:39 pm, Preston Crawford wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced this before? This happened to me even under
>> CentOS
>> 4.x. But basically what happens is that when I play MP3s, whatever the
>> right speaker crackles at higher volume. And it's always that speaker
>> and
>> only that speaker. If I turn the balance to the other speaker I have no
>> problems. So it feels like it might be a mixer issue. I use Alsa, of
>> course, as that's what the default is. Is this a known issue or does
>> someone know how to fix it?
>
> Do you experience this with any other file formats?  Different media
> player?

Yeah, it happens with other players. Although to be empirical I suppose
when I get home I should see which players.

> Personally I would say your right speaker is bad.  But maybe I am
> misunderstanding.

No. That's not it. I've attached 3 pairs of speakers to it and it's always
the same thing. Plus you can hear like hard drive noise coming through.
i.e. When the hard drive is churning the static is in rhythm with it. So I
know it's something related to either the sound card or how the OS is
dealing with the sound card. I've done some Googling and it appears to be
pretty common, but I can't find a solution that works for me. Unless maybe
I need to put in a standalone sound card.

Preston