[CentOS] Sound problems with CentOS

Tue May 1 19:34:25 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Has anyone experienced this before? This happened to me even under CentOS
> 4.x. But basically what happens is that when I play MP3s, whatever the
> right speaker crackles at higher volume. And it's always that speaker and
> only that speaker. If I turn the balance to the other speaker I have no
> problems. So it feels like it might be a mixer issue. I use Alsa, of
> course, as that's what the default is. Is this a known issue or does
> someone know how to fix it?

plug some small headphones into the line out jack of the sound card
(large phones require too much juice), and see if you hear the crackling
over these under the same settings.  if you DONT, its not the system or
the hardware, its your speakers.  if you DO, you can continue to look
into sound card issues.