[CentOS] Re: newer HP G4 and G5 servers and centos :-)

Thu May 24 22:08:57 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

AbbaComm.Net spake the following on 5/24/2007 2:50 PM:
> Thanks for all the feedback
>
> So the bottom line is that the HP rackmount servers are rock solid in G1
> through G5...
>
> Just a coupla issues here and there?
>
> I have been following the eBay G1 - G5 market for some time and have been
> trying to make heads or tails out of it... meaning, are people shedding
> flawed servers or junk, or.... is there truly just a large secondary market
> there.
>
> We use G1 and G2 boxen on some lower to mid traffic functions and they are
> rock solid awesome.
>
> We are just trying to figure out how many mortgages to take out on the home
> to get a couple of identical G5 units...
>
> ;-)
>
> Sooooo what else do we need to know before we jump into the newer boxen?

Ebay gets flooded with everything -- good and bad. They could be anything from
closeouts, grey market stuff, reconditioned, or just people that need the new
and fast because of a new Windows server upgrade.
I think if the server is on HP's linux support list for RHEL, then the current
CentOS will work also. Just a few tricks in loading the HP tools on
unsupported distros.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and