[CentOS] restore to different hardware?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:04:31 UTC 2007

Is there a HOWTO or checklist that covers the typical steps to back up a
working machine and restore it to a machine with different disk
controllers and network cards?   I've muddled through it a time or two,
sometimes rebuilding the initrd, sometimes doing a dummy install just to
get a working /boot and modprobe.conf, sometimes copying the /boot
partition from a machine with identical hardware and / from the one I
want to restore, but I always forget some detail - like fixing
modprobe.conf or fstab, or making sure that the kernel versions are at
the same rev when copying /boot and / from different sources.

If there are other differences, they can be patched up fairly easily
once the machine boots and is on the network.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com