[CentOS] Need advice on storage

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Tue Nov 13 02:26:34 UTC 2007

Guy,

I don't think raptor hard drives are necessarily value for money and in your case, I believe that you'd be *much* better served with some sort of redundancy and not just plain old striping.

I'd recommend that you stick with software raid and do something like this;

1 x silicon image PCI 4 port sata controller *not hardware raid* ($25 from ebay for example)
3 x 320gb sata hdd (~ $100 each here in Australia)

for a total of $325 AUD you'd get around 640gb or redundant storage.

2 x 74gb raptors will cost you $400 here in Australia ..... so thats $75 *more* for almost 400gb *less* storage that is *not* redundant !

Linux software raid-5 performance is pretty good, my 4 x 400gb sata's show 155mb/s reads with 'hdparm -t'.

No brainer !

Cheers,

Brian.