[CentOS] Need advice on storage

boisvert.guy at videotron.ca boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 13 03:01:32 UTC 2007

----- Message d'origine -----De: "redhat at mckerrs.net" <redhat at mckerrs.net>Date: Lundi, Novembre 12, 2007 9:25 pmObjet: Re: [CentOS] Need advice on storageÀ: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>> Guy, > > I don't think raptor hard drives are necessarily value for money > and in your case, I believe that you'd be *much* better served > with some sort of redundancy and not just plain old striping. > > I'd recommend that you stick with software raid and do something > like this; > > > 1 x silicon image PCI 4 port sata controller *not hardware raid* > ($25 from ebay for example) > 3 x 320gb sata hdd (~ $100 each here in Australia) > > for a total of $325 AUD you'd get around 640gb or redundant > storage. > > > 2 x 74gb raptors will cost you $400 here in Australia ..... so > thats $75 *more* for almost 400gb *less* storage that is *not* > redundant ! > > Linux software raid-5 performance is pretty good, my 4 x 400gb > sata's show 155mb/s reads with 'hdparm -t'. > > No brainer ! > > Cheers, > > > Brian. > Hi Brian,  Thanks for your response.  I didn't say it but i can't go more than 2 drives (no more space in the case) and i backup the entire "mail drive" on a LVM backup array of 1.2 TB (3 drives) that serves to backup a windows file server too (Backup Array is 3 drives).  It's not a perfect solution but it cames like it is because the Linux server took more and more job over the years.  The Windoze servers do file serving + AD and Terminal Server.  They have both server grade hardware but this little CentOS 4.5 server running on cheap hardware does almost all the job!  As for RAID 5, with the *poor* CPU i have (Athlon 2500+), i'd be curious how fast it could write with multiples "streams" (server supports 45 WS).  Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that what you said is not right nor this isn't a good idea!  I'm waiting a budget to change the server but it seems that for now, i have to search a temporary solution that could provide the most speed for the money and taking into account i'm dealing with low end mainboard / cpu.  The next server should be something like the Tyan Transport TA26 (though doesn't seem to have redundant PS) with something like an Adaptec 3085 and SAS 15K Drives.Thanks again for your input!Guy Boisvert