[CentOS] Installing Anjuta from KBS repos

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Nov 13 12:17:17 UTC 2007

James A. Peltier wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> James A. Peltier wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install Anjuta from the KB Singh repos on CentOS 5
>>> without success.
>>
>> err ? I have not actually built anjuta for centos-5 as yet :)
>>
>> I can do it now, and it should show up on the repo in a few hours.
>>

> I'm attempting to build Anjuta 2.2.2 which is the latest stable using
> the supplied anjuta.spec file however it has later package requirements
> in it.  Do you think it would be safe to replace the listed requirements
> with those that come with CentOS 5?
>
> This is my first time packaging an RPM so I apologize if this is
> elementary.

The answer is ... it depends :D

Sometimes, if you are going to downgrade all the items, you can do that.
 Other times the software in question really does REQUIRE newer packages
to build properly.

Most of the time, if a specific version is NOT required, then an
non-versioned require is put in ... ie:

BuildRequires: glibc-devel

However, sometimes you need a specific version, so you would use:

BuildRequires: glibc-devel >= 2.5

(same is true for "Requires:")

SO ... if the person who did the research and wrote the SPEC did it
correctly, then no, you can't change it.  BUT ... if they did it in
correctly and specified a version where one is not really required, then
you might be able to change it.

Doesn't really answer you question ... but the only way to tell is to
change the version and build it :D