[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Nov 28 21:37:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:42:09PM -0800, Robinson Tiemuqinke alleged:
> Hi,
>
>  Redhat announced RHEL 5.1 on Nov 07, so hopefully
> CentOS 5.1 will be ready shortly. But I get kind of
> nervous of the arrival of 5.1.
>
>  My problem is: I have hundreds Centos 5.0 boxes just
> finished installation and I will continue to install
> and upgrade hundreds more in next few months. With the
> arrival of Centos 5.1, I don't like to reinstall them
> anymore but continuous upgrade instead -- if this is
> possible?

Don't think of 5.0 and 5.1 as different distros.  They are the same distro.

Think of it as a bunch of non-critical updates that were withheld from the
regular update cycle, tested as a set, and released all at once with a new
installer image.  It is just an update, analogous to a Windows service pack.

Think of RHEL5 as the distro, evolving through time, and 5.1 as a well-tested
snapshot of RHEL5 at a particular point in time.

A regular 'yum update' will bring in all of the new updates.  There is no need
to reinstall the OS.