[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Plant, Dean dean.plant at roke.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 10:42:19 UTC 2007

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> --- Jancio Wodnik <jancio_wodnik at wp.pl> wrote:
>
>> Robinson Tiemuqinke pisze:
>>>
>>>  Currently I download the Centos 5.0 upgrade packages from mirror
>>> sites on Internet (.../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64}/...),
>>> with the arrival of Centos 5.1, are the existing Centos 5.0
>>> update packages will be removed in honor of Centos 5.1
>>> updates? or it will stay? And how about the Centos
>>> 5.1's default packages in distro?
>>>
>>>  Give an example here:
>>>
>>>  2.6.18-8.1.15 version kernel is the most recently
>>> updated kernel for Centos 5.0 distro, if the Centos
>>> 5.1 distro comes with 2.6.18-8.1.10000 kernel and in
>>> the first few weeks there are no kernel updates for
>>> 5.1, then how can I upgrade my kernel to
>>> 2.6.18-8.1.10000 naturally -- will the
>>> 2.6.18-8.1.10000 shows in the same update sources
>>>

> directories(.../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64/...)?
>>>
>>>  A similar question is: are the update diretories
>>> contains only updates for 5.1 distro, or both 5.0 and
>>> 5.1?
>>>
>>>  Any clarifications are greatly appreciated.
>>>
>> It's simply. All things from 5.0 to 5.1 will be done automatically
>> via yum (as standard update) or in rare situation can be possibly
>> depedency problem (when mixing different repo ?).
>>
>> So don't worry. if you are really affraid - update
>> only one box and test
>> ... test ... then update the rest.
>>
>> I must say. In Centos 4 world all updates from 1 to 2 to 3 ... to 5
>> were go in smooth way.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Irens
>>

>  I have had my local 5.0 update repository
> (.../centos/5.0/updates/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64}/...) setup
> and used it for my 900+ boxes's daily upgrade already.
> The repository is synchronized with official Internet
> mirrors daily to keep it current.
>
>  My major concerns is: After the 5.1 is released, the
> update channel/directory
> (.../centos/5.1/updates/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64}/...)  may
> change to contain only updates for 5.1
> snapshot/release, not updates since 5.0. If so, then
> all my Centos 5.0 boxes will suffer.
>
>  I have the serious concern because most Centos Mirror
> sites on Internet ONLY keep the updates for latest
> release/snapshot, not holds updates since the
> base(3.0, 4.0, 5.0 etc) release. This seems like a big
> problem if we would like to install from base|initial
> release (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) continuously and then use a
> single up-to-date update/ repository to upgrade
> machines to current level.
>
> For example, at Stanford's Centos 4 mirror site, only
> 4.5 is mirrored while all the other
> 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4 are not. and in the updates/
> directory only updates for 4.5 are kept there.  If the
> same is true for all other sites honoring 5.0 series,
> then I think I will definitely get screwed If I tried
> to keep on using base 5.0 and daily synced  updates/
> (exactly the same) for upgrade.
>
> Any mirror sites hold updates since base release? Or I
> have to keep on adding more repositories to yum's
> configuration? 5.0 distro, 5.0 updates, 5.1 distro,
> 5.1 updates, 5.2 distro, 5.2 updates. etc. If so, then
> it is too low-performanced and erro-prone.
>
> Any one have experience on upgrade Centos 4 releases
> from 4.0 to 4.5 can shed a light on this?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --Robinson

If you remove the point release numbers from your update paths you do
not need the old versions. If you really need the old updates use
http://vault.centos.org/

>From http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.4/readme

This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated.  For normal
users,
you should use /4/ and not /4.4/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
concerning the CentOS release scheme:

http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34

If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 4.4
level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.

To simplfy our yum configuration I disable all the repo files in
/etc/yum.repos.d and call the yum configuration from a local web server
in yum.conf by using the include statement. One change on the web server
changes the yum configuration on all CentOS machines.

In the yum.conf I add

# Site yum files
include=http://ourserver.ourdomain.com/centos/yum/centos.repo
include=http://ourserver.ourdomain.com/centos/yum/centos-updates.repo

The centos.repo looks like this,

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://ourserver.ourdomain.com/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

And the centos-updates.repo looks like this,

[updates-released]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
baseurl=http://ourserver.ourdomain.com/centos/$releasever/updates/$basea
rch/