[CentOS] Replacement for Linux-HA (heartbeat) - RedHat cluster?

Matt Shields mattboston at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:10:19 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 4:12 PM, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
> >
> > Matt Shields wrote:
> > > Dump the cluste suite and use the LinuxVirtualServer.org packages.
> >
> > isn't that heartbeat and stuff repackaged?
>
> Visiting the web site it appears to be a load-balancer, not that that
> wouldn't be useful in some scenarios, but it isn't really "clustering"
> software that is to have an application run in active/passive or
> active/active between multiple nodes cooperatively, with fencing and
> shared storage, locking and all that goes with that.
>
> -Ross

LVS is a group of tools that do a lot of different things, the two
that you are interested in are:

- heartbeat - provides failover if you have two nodes (active/active
or active/passive)
- ipvsadm/ldirectord - provides load balancing (ie. http(s) load
balancer in front of multiple web servers)

As stated in a previous post we have a number of these setup in our
network and we handle a lot of traffic.  Some we're using for http(s)
traffic, others smtp/pop/imap, others mysql (read only queries off
replicas).  There's no end to what what you could use heartbeat or
ipvsadm/ldirectord or both for.  Both packages can be installed from
dag's repo.

--
-matt