[CentOS] Replacement for Linux-HA (heartbeat) - RedHat cluster?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:28:46 UTC 2007

On 30/11/2007, Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com> wrote:
> LVS is a group of tools that do a lot of different things, the two
> that you are interested in are:
>
> - heartbeat - provides failover if you have two nodes (active/active
> or active/passive)
> - ipvsadm/ldirectord - provides load balancing (ie. http(s) load
> balancer in front of multiple web servers)
>
> As stated in a previous post we have a number of these setup in our
> network and we handle a lot of traffic.  Some we're using for http(s)
> traffic, others smtp/pop/imap, others mysql (read only queries off
> replicas).  There's no end to what what you could use heartbeat or
> ipvsadm/ldirectord or both for.  Both packages can be installed from
> dag's repo.

Thanks.

What platform are you using? Mine is CentOS 5 on x86_64. It runs as a
Xen DomU but from what I read on the linux-ha users mailing list this
shouldn't be the issue. The production system will run on the bare
metal (not under Xen).

My experience with LVS at a previous workplace (a very large ISP) was
also excellent - they had a couple of LVS servers in front of hundreds
of mini-clusters (each such cluster service its own web or other
network application, sometimes sharing disks using DRBD).

The difference, I suspect, is that I'm trying this now with version
2.1.2 on CentOS 5 and x86_64, as opposed to possibly older version of
everything (RedHat version, LVS, hardware (i386)).

Thanks for your input,

--Amos