[CentOS] freenx

Tue Nov 13 21:14:23 UTC 2007
Michael Oevermann <michael.oevermann at tu-berlin.de>

Hello,

I am having problems getting freenx running in CentOS 4.5  i386_64. I
know this is not a new problem, however, I havn't
found a solution in all the postings I found on the web.

I did exactly what is supposed to work and described in detail at

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

After doing that I can connect to the server with nxcleint without
problem but I get only a black screen. In the files

.nx/S.../session  and errors

I see the warning

Warning: Unrecognized session type 'unix-gnome'. Assuming agent session.

The same happens with KDE.

With the command

nxloadconfig --check

I get the output

Warning: Could not find nxdesktop in /usr/bin. RDP sessions won't work.
Warning: Could not find nxviewer in /usr/bin. VNC sessions won't work.
Warning: Invalid value "APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/
libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so.2:/usr/lib/
libXcompext.so:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2". /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2
could not be found. Users will not be able to run a single
application in non-rootless mode.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_FOOMATIC=/usr/lib/cups/driver/
foomatic-ppdfile"
          Users will not be able to use foomatic.
Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/nxipp" is not executable.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" is not executable.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
          Users will not be able to request a CDE session.
Warning: Invalid cupsd version of "/usr/sbin/cupsd". Need version 1.2.
          Users will not be able to enable printing.
Error: Could not find 1.5.0 or 2.[01].0 or 3.0.0 version string in
nxagent. NX 1.5.0 or 2.[01].0 or 3.0.0 backend is needed for this
version of FreeNX.

   Errors occured during config check.
   Please correct the configuration file.

The libraries are definitely not where nx looks for them - they are
located at /usr/lib64/NX/lib (and symlinks under (usr/lib/NX/lib).
What is going wrong here? I also tried to use nxconfig with --setup-
nomachine-key with the same results, except that
I did not need to import the key in the nxclient anymore.

Does anyone has an idea to solve the problem?

Many thanks for help

Michael