[CentOS] Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Tue Nov 27 16:26:04 UTC 2007
Lorenzo Quatrini <lorenzo at gmk.it>

Matt Shields ha scritto:
> On Nov 27, 2007 10:37 AM, Count Of Dracula <countofdracula at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/26/07, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
>>> allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
>>> their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
>>>

>>> The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
>>>
>>>  - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation
>> Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
>> such a cruel way?
>>
>> Joy
>
> Because some people may actually want to run a stable OS that will
> have patches released for quite a while.  Fedora is not an option for
> most business people who rely on their laptops every day.  Torture is
> installing the latest Fedora every 6 months and hoping something
> doesn't break.  Some would say Fedora users are nuts.

I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I know
the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install them: I'll wait
for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it for work, and I don't
need sound
My old crappy asus instead is just for watching movies attached to an external
flat lcd tv and it's doing his job wonderfully (even if it has some issue with
the integrated monitor)
So maybe I'm nuts, but I'm happy with not having to reinstall everything every
6/12 months.

:)

Lorenzo