[CentOS] Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Tue Nov 27 17:16:16 UTC 2007
Johnny Tan <linuxweb at gmail.com>

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
> on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I
> know the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install
> them: I'll wait for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it
> for work, and I don't need sound

I have CentOS-5 on a Thinkpad X61s and also only have sound
as my major issue. Otherwise, it's great and I see no reason
to run Fedora/Ubuntu.

One (more general, not CentOS-specific) problem that I have
is that there's no network profile manager. Traveling among
4 different locations (none with DHCP) means constantly
going in and changing my network settings. Anyone know of a
program to do something like what OS X does?

Anyway, I'll throw up my experiences on the wiki soon,
though it's been a few months, so my memory's patchy.

Dag, is this the correct page?
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/

And are we supposed to do it on our own page and then link
to it? Seems like the existing ones are like that.

Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of
the same laptop model go on the same line somehow?

johnn