[CentOS] Centos 5.0 Intel G33/P35 Chipset Support (Asus P5K-VM, P5KC)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Oct 23 09:38:33 UTC 2007

David Hrbáč wrote:
> Johnny Hughes napsal(a):
>> David does great work, but CentOS is about being a clone of tested
>> enterprise software.
>>
>> We can't also be Rawhide for new equipment too ... we don't have the
>>  resources or people to do that.
>>
>> I wish we had 400 or so servers and the same number of developers so
>>  that we could support a Rawhide type branch, but we just do not have
>>  that.
>>
>> If you want something that is not in the upstream discs that is
>> installable, you will need to use david's discs, yes.
>
> Hi,
> I feel I have to clarify a few things.
>
> 1) I do not want to create some CentOS fork, take it only as a bypass
> solution. We have to stick with upstream with all pros and cons.
> 2) Install DVD contains only slightly different kernel RPMS. Nothing
> more or less. So updates go smoothly. Maybe too much. If CentOS is about
> to release a new kernel RPMS, user will "yum" them, reboot and ooops :o)
> 3) Kernel RPMS are here:
> http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el5/hrb/stable/i386/RPMS/repodata/
> 4) Well, maybe I could create CD install media deltas.
> 5) And of course ICH9 patched CentOS is not supported by CentOS
> team/community.

David,

I did nor mean to sound critical of your work ... I appreciate that you
did this boot DVD and are making it available.  In the future we might
be able to make it available (with more hardware added) in the testing
repository ... or even work in changes like it into the CentOSPlus kernels.

My point was that David is a trusted person by many on the CentOS Devel
team and I would have no personal problem using his boot DVD if I was
trying to install on a machine that I needed his kernel for.

That said, I also did want to point out that CentOS is not Fedora,
Fedora is perfectly free, and Fedora builds a great non-enterprise Linux
diatro.  Fedora (IMHO) is, by a huge margin, the very best of the 6-8
month cutting edge distros out there.

If you want to run cutting edge hardware, I would fully recommend doing
so with Fedora.  I would not really recommend using cutting edge
hardware that is not yet supported for major enterprise endeavors though
.. why you might ask?

Well ... I personally have had problems with cutting edge hardware,
chipsets, and BIOSes not being stable for up to a year.  It makes no
difference which OS you use if the drive controller or the memory
controller above the OS level is not stable.  Getting new stuff is fun
and we all like to do it ... however, let us also remember what the
purpose of CentOS is :D

We are not trying to "out Fedora" Fedora ... as there is no need to do so.

Thanks,
Johnny Hoghes