[CentOS] Software RAID: on same IDE port or on different ones?

Thu Oct 18 14:57:31 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I have a general question on software RAID performance. If using two IDE
disks on RAID 1: is there much of a difference performancewise if I put
both on one IDE port as master and slave or should I better put them on
seperate ports. I remember from olde days that it was recommended to put
CD and hard disk on different ports to maximize the throughput between
them and as RAID1 is theoretically writing to both disks at the same time
I guess putting them on different ports might be an advantage. Is it one
or is it negligible?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany