[CentOS] Re: Software RAID: on same IDE port or on different ones?

Thu Oct 18 19:51:38 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10/18/2007 7:57 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
> I have a general question on software RAID performance. If using two IDE
> disks on RAID 1: is there much of a difference performancewise if I put
> both on one IDE port as master and slave or should I better put them on
> seperate ports. I remember from olde days that it was recommended to put
> CD and hard disk on different ports to maximize the throughput between
> them and as RAID1 is theoretically writing to both disks at the same time
> I guess putting them on different ports might be an advantage. Is it one
> or is it negligible?
>
> Kai

The speed issue is not the problem. The problem is that if one disk dies while
the system is running, it usually locks up the ide channel until a reboot, so
the other drive would also be locked. That sort of kills one of the reasons
for raid. You can pick up PCI IDE cards cheap, put the drives on their own ports.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and