[CentOS] Software RAID: on same IDE port or on different ones?

Thu Oct 18 22:54:24 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Scott Silva wrote on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:51:38 -0700:

> The speed issue is not the problem. The problem is that if one disk dies while
> the system is running, it usually locks up the ide channel until a reboot, so
> the other drive would also be locked.

Ah, I see, that makes sense.

That sort of kills one of the reasons
> for raid. You can pick up PCI IDE cards cheap, put the drives on their own ports.

Well, there are two ports on the board. But room in the 1U boxes is scarce, so I
started out by just adding another disk and refrained from dragging another IDE
cable thru the holes inside the box.
Well, I have already two with this master/slave setup. Documentation says that
mdadm.conf holds all the information, but it doesn't specify any harddisk devices.
Are the UUIDs really all it needs to reassemble the array? So, it doesn't matter
(for RAID) that the drive moves from hdb to hdc?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany