[CentOS] bind-9.3.3-9.0.1 RPM BUILD error

Mon Oct 22 10:24:35 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
> >
> > Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> > >
> > >    Hi,
> > >    Centos  4.4  comes  with  bind  9.2.x.  I  want  to upgrade it to
> > bind
> > >    bind-9.3.3-9.x  as  bind  9.2.x  had a  security hole.
> >
> > Which one which isn't fixed in bind-9.2.4-27.0.1.el4?
>
> Thanks  for  your  quick respone.
>
> pls see below URL.
>
>     http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=5366
>
> We discussed about it in this list. see below URLs
>
>     http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-July/084180.html
>     http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-July/084186.html

Indunil,

The correct solution to deal with this security issue is to update to the
latest bind of CentOS 4, which already provided a backported fix for this
problem in CentOS 4.

By rebuilding a package of CentOS 5 and running it on CentOS 4, you will
no longer receive automatically any new security fixes from CentOS 4.
Because you have manually upgraded your CentOS 4 bind to a newer version
than Red Hat supports.

As a consequence of your actions, you will have to rebuild *every* bind
release from CentOS 5 on your CentOS 4 box yourself. For no real good
reason.