[CentOS] Kickstart install surprise

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Sep 12 23:09:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>> My primary purpose in the original message was to provide feedback from
>> somebody who's pretty technical, but not steeped in Red Hat/CentOS.
>
>I have read that book you speak of, it was mildly entertaining -
>however, you are quoting that out of context here.
>
>The problem you have is that you used the wrong tool for the wrong job,
>busted your own system - and are now looking for something / someone to
>blame. Thats fine. We all have a spleen, needs venting sometimes.

How was I using the wrong tool when I was testing a kickstart configuration
file in interactive mode, which I figured would be safe as it would allow
me to exit before it wrote on the disk?  I have done similar testing of
autoyast configuration files on many occassions without clobbering
anything.

I would hardly call it venting.  I've made a serious effort not to say some
of the things that come to mind (particularly when I found that not only
had it nuked my hard drive, but also nuked the external USB drive that
happened to be on at the time).  If I were venting, I might make comments
to the effect that if I wanted to run a system that would eat every drive
on the system without asking, I would be running the Microsoft Virus,
Windows :-).

>Besides that, since you said its all new to you, feel free to hang
>around - there is a fantastic knowledgebase here on the list. I am sure
>you would be most welcome :)

Bill

People who relieve others of their money with guns are called robbers. It
does not alter the immorality of the act when the income transfer is
carried out by government.