[CentOS] 3Ware 9550SX and latency/system responsiveness

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Thu Sep 13 12:52:56 UTC 2007

Simon Banton wrote:
> Dear list,
> I thought I'd just share my experiences with this 3Ware card, and see if
> anyone might have any suggestions.
> System: Supermicro H8DA8 with 2 x Opteron 250 2.4GHz and 4GB RAM
> installed. 9550SX-8LP hosting 4x Seagate ST3250820SV 250GB in a RAID 1
> plus 2 hot spare config. The array is properly initialized, write cache
> is on, as is queueing (and supported by the drives). StoreSave set to
> Protection.

Well, the first thing I noted was that the H8DA8 was not on the list of
compatible motherboards on the 3ware website.

> My only real question is "where do I go from here?" I don't have enough
> specific tuning knowledge to know what else to look at.

Perhaps update to the latest firmware for both motherboard and 3ware
board. Also check that you actually plugged the thing into a PCI-X
64-bit 100/133 Mhz slot and that it is running at those speeds. Next
question would be whether you are using a riser board?