[CentOS] CentOSPlus Perl Upgrade

Thu Sep 6 19:33:32 UTC 2007
Nick Webb <webbn at acm.org>

Hey All,

I'm trying to upgrade to perl 5.8.8 via CentOSPlus, but am having no
luck.  Here is what I have done.

# yum list | grep perl
 . . .
perl.i386                                3:5.8.5-12.1           installed
 . . .

Created /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo with:

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
priority=2
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-smp-* kernel-hugemem* kernel-largesmp*

Then tried:
# sudo yum --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade perl
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-4 - Plus
Finished
Could not find update match for perl
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

What am I missing?

Actually, looking at the "yum list" output, it looks like the current
version installed is of the i386 architecture, while this machine is
x86_64?  Is that the problem?  If so is it safe to install the i386
package?  Is there an easy way to do this via yum?

# uname -a
Linux dev 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Feb 27 09:40:21 EST 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm begining to think the previous admin made some poor decisions on
this server...

Thanks!
Nick