[CentOS] CentOSPlus Perl Upgrade

Wed Sep 12 11:53:36 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Nick Webb wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade to perl 5.8.8 via CentOSPlus, but am having no
> luck.  Here is what I have done.
>
> # yum list | grep perl
>  . . .
> perl.i386                                3:5.8.5-12.1           installed
>  . . .
>
> Created /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo with:
>
> #additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
> [centosplus]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> enabled=0
> priority=2
> gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
> exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-smp-* kernel-hugemem* kernel-largesmp*
>
> Then tried:
> # sudo yum --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade perl
> Setting up Upgrade Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Excluding Packages from CentOS-4 - Plus
> Finished
> Could not find update match for perl
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>
> What am I missing?

Since the Base and Updates repos are:
priority=1

And since the CentOSPlus repo is:
priority=2

You will need to set perl (and any other items you want from CentOSPlus
to overwrite base and/or updates repo) to exclude= in the base repo and
the updates repo.

HOWEVER ... the perl in CentOSPlus is part of the CentOS Web Stack ...
and you need to use all the pieces of that together if you want to use
any of it ... see this guide:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/CentOSPlus/CentOSWebStack

> Actually, looking at the "yum list" output, it looks like the current
> version installed is of the i386 architecture, while this machine is
> x86_64?  Is that the problem?  If so is it safe to install the i386
> package?  Is there an easy way to do this via yum?

It depends ... you can use i386 or x86_64 or both.  Adding this:

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

to a file called ~/.rpmmacros will allow you to do:

rpm -qa | sort

and see what i[3,4,5,6]86 and x86_64 packages are installed.

> # uname -a
> Linux dev 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Feb 27 09:40:21 EST 2007
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You need a newer kernel :D

> I'm begining to think the previous admin made some poor decisions on
> this server...

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes