[CentOS] rpm spec files for ruby

Fri Sep 7 13:41:15 UTC 2007
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I am trying to package ruby-1.8.6 for CentOS-4.5 and I would like to take
a look at the spec files used for ruby-1.8.1 that ships with CentOS. Is
there any place that I can see these or could someone do me the kindness
of sending them to me?

I am also confused as to how one breaks out the component parts of a build
into separate rpm packages.  The source distribution from ruby-lang.org
seemingly permits only three install options; all, no-docs and docs-only.
How and where does one refactor the build scripts to create separate rpms
for ruby, ruby-libs, ruby-devel, ruby-docs, rdoc, irb, ri, and ruby-tcltk?
 I would appreciate greatly any guidance here.

I have zero experience with creating rpm packages, but I ran across a
reference to checkinstall in a reply to one of my queries on ruby-forum
and have decided to have a go at putting an rpm together, for my own
purposes if it proves beyond my capability to do so for the community.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3