[CentOS] rpm spec files for ruby

Fri Sep 7 13:49:01 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

From: centos-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of James B. Byrne

Download the SRPMS off of http://mirror.centos.org/centos

> I am also confused as to how one breaks out the component
> parts of a build
> into separate rpm packages.  The source distribution from
> ruby-lang.org
> seemingly permits only three install options; all, no-docs
> and docs-only.
> How and where does one refactor the build scripts to create
> separate rpms
> for ruby, ruby-libs, ruby-devel, ruby-docs, rdoc, irb, ri,
> and ruby-tcltk?
>  I would appreciate greatly any guidance here.

This is configured in the RPM .spec file and handled automatically
during the rpmbuild process.

> I have zero experience with creating rpm packages, but I ran across a
> reference to checkinstall in a reply to one of my queries on
> ruby-forum
> and have decided to have a go at putting an rpm together, for my own
> purposes if it proves beyond my capability to do so for the community.

You will need gcc, binutils, make, patch, rpm-build, redhat-rpm-config
and maybe gcc-c++ and stdc++ libs.

There is pretty good documentation on the rpm spec file format at:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

and

http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/

-Ross