[CentOS] dvb modules not in CentOS plus kernel for target=i686

Wed Sep 5 17:56:53 UTC 2007
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On 9/4/07, Tony <pthagonal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just trying to setup my hauppauge nova-T freeview card under
> Centos 5. It works on the same hardware under CentOS 4.x using the
> CentOS plus kernel.  Having installed the latest CentOS Plus kernel
> for CentOS 5.0 (2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.centos.plus) I've found that various
> kernel modules are missing- specifically dvb_core cx88_dvb and cx22702
> that were used by my system under CentOS 4.x
>
> I've downloaded the srpm and had a bit of a hack. I note with interest
> that the source file kernel-2.6.18-i686.config has the line "#
> CONFIG_DVB is not set" whereas in kernel-2.6.18-ia64.config it is
> switched on: with CONFIG_DVB=y and there is also
> CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=m amongst various other references to DVB in
> there.
>
> Does anyone know the background to this- do the DVB modules fail to
> build under i686 and are therefore deliberately turned off?  I guess I
> may have a hack at the config file and then leave my machine to do
> some serious rpm building.

I suggest you file a request at bugs.centos.org.  My guess is that
when the centosplus kernel was built for C5, that particular support
was "missed".  A new kernel update just came out, so there is a good
chance this option is enabled again if you ask now.

Akemi