[CentOS] Server Shut Down!!!!

Wed Apr 9 01:48:29 UTC 2008
Harry Sukumar <hsukumar at bond.edu.au>

Good Day All,

I have a serious problem on one of my servers running CentOS 5!!!

The problem started this way,

I wanted to store some data under /home and I got an error message
saying it is in the read only mode

So I rebooted the machine,

Then I see this serious error messages at boot time (I am unable to
boot)

Here is the Error Message!!!

*** Error occurred during the file system check.

*** Dropping you to shell; the system will reboot

*** when you leave the shell

Give root password for maintenance

(or type control D to continue):

Bash: dircolors: command not found

Bash: /usr/bin/id: No such file or directory

Bash: [:=: unary operator expected

(Repair filesystem)1 #

When I press control D the machine reboots itself and comes back to the
same prompt asking for root password for maintenance

Your help in this matter is highly appreciated

Many Thanks

Harry